wireless networking revisited

Tonight I replaced my year-old Linksys WRT54Gv2 with a brand-new WRT54Gv3, running the Sveasoft Talisman 1.0.5 replacement firmware.

I’ve also got a WRT54Gv2.2 in the music room, bridging the systems in there (Mac mini, AMD Windows machine, Dell SC420 running Linux) to the rest of the network.

With the prior v2 ’54G, I never got more than 1 megabyte/sec transfer rate between the routers. When I upgraded to the v3, that has now jumped to a rock-solid 2.2 megabytes/sec (tested with a 200M file).

I’ll probably make the old v2 unit another wireless bridge in the bedroom, for when I finally get the DirecTiVo in there connected to the network so I can dump shows to the Mac here in the computer room.

One thought on “wireless networking revisited

Comments are closed.