I had to come home from work yesterday when Amy called and said “we have a roof leak.”
Got home, and saw this. Water damage to some of the old paneling on the outside wall, but no problems at all to the ceiling, which was very baffling. We figured that we had a roof leak.
Called the insurance company, and the adjuster came out today. He got up on the roof, and gave it a clean bill of health. They can’t do anything (as water damage without distinct roof damage isn’t covered), but he’s going to call a contractor for us to get an estimate to get the paneling spot-fixed.
We finally figured out what the problem was – leaf buildup on the root caused standing water, which slowly dripped/soaked down through a specific spot on the roof, onto a stud, and onto the wall you see in the pictures.
The solution was fairly easy – we went to Lowes, and bought a folding/telescoping ladder and a push broom. Amy spent about a half hour up on the roof sweeping off leaves (quite a lot of them), almost giving herself heatstroke in the process.
I guess we’ll find out if this was the cause/solution when we get rain from hurricanes in the Gulf in the next few days.